Thomas Buckner Speaks about 1750 Arch Street and CNMAT
CNMAT Director, Edmund Campion interviews Thomas Buckner to discuss his involvement with the history of the property and early activities at 1750 Arch Street and the later establishment of CNMAT with David Wessel.
About Thomas Buckner
For decades, baritone Thomas Buckner has dedicated himself to the promotion and performance of new and improvised music, collaborating with a host of new music luminaries including Robert Ashley, Noah Creshevsky, Tom Hamilton, Earl Howard, Matthias Kaul, Leroy Jenkins, Bun Ching Lam, Annea Lockwood, Roscoe Mitchell, Phill Niblock, Wadada Leo Smith, Chinary Ung, Christian Wolff and many others. Buckner has appeared at Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall, the Herbst Theatre, the Art Institute of Chicago, the Berlin Spring Festival, the Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival the, the Prague Spring Festival, and the Angelica Festival of Bologna. He is featured on over 50 recordings, including 6 solo albums, the most recent being “New Music for Baritone & Chamber Ensemble,” which includes works by Annea Lockwood, Tania Leon, and Petr Kotik. Buckner also appears in the newly released CD/DVD “Kirili et le Nymphéas (Hommage à Monet)” filmed at the Musée de l’Orangerie, Paris, which hoses the Monet’s celebrated Water lilies murals. For the past twenty-five years Thomas Buckner has curated the Interpretations series in New York City, and continues to produce recordings on the Mutable Music label, introducing current artists and repertoire, as well as presenting important historic material, previously unavailable in CD format.
The segments of the interview are separated by topic and follow the order of the audio files below.
1. Thomas Buckner speaks about the property at 1750 Arch Street
2. Thomas Buckner talks about Thomas Buckner
3. Thomas Buckner speaks about the 1750 Arch Concerts (1972-1980)
4. Thomas Buckner speaks about the 1750 Arch Record label
5. Thomas Buckner speaks about the Arch Ensemble (1974-1984)
6. Thomas Buckner speaks about the establishment of CNMAT and its founder Richard Felciano
7. Thomas Buckner speaks about David Wessel (CNMAT Director 1988-2014)